Ulchi Freedom Shield Cut Short After Trump Orders the US Role Scaled Back
The annual US-South Korean exercise will end on August 21 instead of August 27 and its second command-post phase is cancelled, after President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon on August 16 to substantially reduce the drills.
Ulchi Freedom Shield, the annual command-post exercise that anchors the alliance between the United States and South Korea, will end on August 21 rather than August 27 after President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon on August 16 to substantially reduce it. The exercise opened on schedule on August 17, but its second phase, a computer-simulated run scheduled for August 24 to 27, has been cancelled.
Trump announced the order on social media, citing his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to take part in the American war with Iran. South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing on August 19 that neither his government nor officials in Washington had been warned. "Neither our government nor officials within the U.S. government had any prior knowledge of what President Trump revealed on Truth Social," he said. "Consequently, we were not notified beforehand."
A Pentagon spokesperson said the department had "substantially reduced Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield while continuing training that enhances tactical capability," declining to specify which assets were withdrawn on operational security grounds. A US defense official said the changes preserve essential readiness and training objectives with no degradation to American training goals.
Some of the 14 combined battalion-level field exercises attached to the drills will be postponed or run as South Korean-only events. Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies still plan to hold 159 field training exercises this year and that the training dropped from Ulchi Freedom Shield would be conducted later. He also said the assessment at stake โ the full operational capability check that conditions the transfer of wartime operational control from Washington to Seoul โ would be completed during the exercise's first phase. Seoul had hoped a clean result would open discussion of a transition timeline later this year.
The exercise normally draws about 18,000 uniformed personnel from the two allies and partner nations across land, sea and air. The US Air Force typically contributes F-16, F-35 and F-22 fighters, while the Republic of Korea Air Force flies F-35A, F-15K and FA-50 aircraft of its own; it operates 40 F-35A with 20 more on order, 59 F-15K and 167 F-16C/D.
South Korea keeps 500,000 active personnel and 3.1 million reservists and spent $43.1 billion on defense in 2025, placing it sixth in the global military power ranking. North Korea, 27th in the same ranking, fields 1.28 million active troops. Separately, Gen. Kevin B. Schneider, who commands Pacific Air Forces, is reviewing the more than 45 exercises his command runs each year to determine which produce genuine readiness gains and whether their scale or participation should change.
The truncated exercise runs to August 21. Ahn said the postponed battalion-level training would be rescheduled before the end of the year, leaving the operational-control timeline โ rather than the exercise itself โ as the next test of the arrangement.
More News
All news โ
Six Months of War With Iran Have Left US Carriers, Interceptors and Crews Stretched Thin
Record carrier deployments, a western Pacific without a flat deck, two-thirds of the Patriot stockpile expended and a defense strategy that ranked the Middle East behind two other theaters: an assessment of what the 2026 Iran conflict has cost the US force.
Germany's First F-35A Leaves Final Assembly, Bound for the Nuclear Mission the Tornado Hands Over
Lockheed Martin said on August 18 that the Luftwaffe's first F-35A has completed final assembly at Fort Worth, with a rollout set for September 18 and the first aircraft due at a US training base before the end of 2026.
Raytheon Wins $22.9 Billion to Take Tomahawk Output From 60 Missiles a Year to Over 1,000
The US Navy awarded Raytheon a seven-year, $22.9 billion contract on August 17 to raise annual Tomahawk production from about 60 missiles to more than 1,000, after the Iran conflict consumed roughly a third of the American stockpile.
White House Opens US Navy Surface Combatants to Foreign Shipyards
A presidential memorandum signed on August 13, 2026 lets allied yards build the first hulls of three vessel families abroad, provided they buy into or build a US shipyard - aimed at a fleet that fields 77 destroyers and not one modern frigate.
US Navy's Orca Undersea Drone Completes First 1,000-Mile Autonomous Patrol
The Boeing-built Orca extra-large uncrewed undersea vehicle patrolled more than 1,000 nautical miles across the eastern Pacific in July, the longest autonomous mission the program has flown, the US Navy disclosed on August 15, 2026.
41 Nations Urge 24-Hour Notice for ICBM and Space Launches After Chinese SLBM Test
A joint statement delivered to the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva on 11 August 2026 asks every state to give at least 24 hours' notice before launching an ICBM, a submarine-launched ballistic missile or a space launch vehicle.